Taxi, Bus or Kutaisi Tbilisi Train?
When you're thinking about getting from Kutaisi to Tbilisi, you should consider several transport options. I will share some details and experience about which one is the best to take a taxi, bus or Kutaisi Tbilisi train.
- You can use either a private or shared taxi.
- A fair price to pay in a taxi from Kutaisi to Tbilisi is approximately 130 GEL.
- Splitting say between 4 people, the maximum allowed in a car would make it more affordable.
- You enjoy the luxury of making stops along the journey.
- One convenient stop would be the town of Gori on your way to Tbilisi famously known as the birth place of Stalin.
- The stops would save time on your overall Georgia itinerary if you do not want to visit Gori as a day trip.
- It will take you about Three and a half hours to cover the 230Kms journey.
- It is the fastest option to get to Tbilisi.
- It is a quick and easy option.
- It allows you to tailor-make your trip and plan detours.
- You are at liberty to choose the type and size of car and be as comfortable as you wish.
Kutaisi Tbilisi Train
- The trip on Kutaisi Tbilisi train will cost you 8 GEL.
- This makes it the cheapest option of travel compared to the taxi/marshutkas and buses.
- There are three trains scheduled per day from Kutaisi to Tbilisi.
- The ride takes around 5-6 hours making it a longer trip than when using the taxis.
- The direct train runs once daily between Kutaisi and Tbilisi Didube.
- It departs Kutaisi at 12:15 in the afternoon and arrives in Tbilisi at 17:15.
- All services run directly with no transfer required.
- Although it is a long trip its is much more comfortable and relaxing.
- The train makes several stops on the way so you can buy snacks and water from vendors.
- There is no onboard food service.
- If you are a train-travel fan, then this is a very exciting trip.
- The scenery is amazing and the way the landscape drastically changes is mind-blowing.
- Minibuses and full 54-passenger buses depart regularly from Kutaisi to Didube bus station in Tbilisi.
- The mini-buses depart once an hour and the larger buses every three hours.
- It is a Four-hour journey by the larger buses and a three-and-a-half-hour trip by a mini-bus.
- The trip costs 10 GEL.
- There is an online option for booking your ticket provided you input an arrival date and the plane you are arriving on.
- Enjoy a sight seeing the moment your bus leaves the station especially if on the day buses.
- If on a night bus, get comfortable and enjoy counting the stars lining the beautiful landscape.
- The buses allow you to experience the scenic gems from Kutaisi to Tbilisi that otherwise you would miss if on a plane.
- The buses rarely have air conditioner so buy some water and wear comfortable clothes.
- The buses are not so comfortable which makes the train a much more comfortable and a cost-effective means from Kutaisi to Tbilisi.
- Time taken between a taxi and a bus is basically the same only that a taxi is very comfortable but a bit expensive in comparison.